Please note: A printable PDF of this page can be found here.
TVIW 2017 – Plenary Talks, Papers and Posters
Abstract Submission Deadline: April 30, 2017
Acceptance Notifications: May 31, 2017
TVIW 2017 seeks abstract submissions of recent research related to future interstellar travel (propulsion, communications, psychology, anthropology and related research). Abstracts for the 2016 TVIW 2017 Symposium may be submitted to one of two categories:
- Research – These abstracts report on original research and must include methods, data analyses, and results.
- Initiatives – These abstracts report on concepts for and progress of innovative programs for advancing technology, public policy, and/or educational outreach.
Presentation formats include:
- Oral presentations are clustered into three sessions, with each presentation twenty minutes in duration followed by an additional 5 minute question/answer period. These first session on October 4 will be on Current Activities. The second session on October 5 will be on Near Future Activities. And the third session scheduled on October 6th will be on Far Future Activities.
- Poster presentations will occur during the evening reception on October 4. Posters will remain on display throughout the conference, but must be removed by 7:30 PM on October 6. Posters can be any size, but we recommend 36”x 36” prints on photo-quality glossy media.
Abstracts will be selected by the Abstract Review Committee. ONLY COMPLETE ABSTRACTS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR PRESENTATION. ABSTRACTS DESCRIBING UNFINISHED RESEARCH OR INSUBSTANTIAL ACTIVITIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. To be considered complete, abstracts must describe a completed research project, including descriptions of methods, results and conclusions; a completely defined program or outreach, including evaluation methods, milestone plans, and specific learning objectives.
Abstracts which meet these criteria and are accepted for presentation will be published in TVIW 2017’s peer-reviewed journal. Submission Instructions:
- Abstracts must be submitted online.
- PRESENTING AUTHOR(S) – Please list ONLY the author(s) who will actually be in attendance and presenting at the conference. (first name, last name, degree – Susan Smith, MD, MPH)
- ADDITIONAL AUTHORS – List all authors here, including Presenting Author(s) – (first name, last name, degree(s) – Mary Rockford, RN; Susan Smith, MD; John Jones, PhD)
- ABBREVIATIONS within the body should be kept to a minimum and must be defined upon first use in the abstract by placing the abbreviation in parenthesis after the represented full word or phrase. Proprietary drug names and logos may NOT be used on posters or during oral presentations. Non-proprietary (generic) names should be used.
- ABSTRACT LENGTH – The entire abstract, (EXCLUDING title, authors, presenting author’s institutional affiliation(s), city, state, and text), including any tables or figures should be a maximum of 350 words. It is your responsibility to verify compliance with the length requirement. Abstracts longer than the 350 words risk being disqualified from judging or publication in TVIW Journal.
Abstract Structure – abstracts must include the following headings:
- Title – the presentation title
- Background – describes the research or initiative context
- Objective – describes the research or initiative objective
- Methods – describes research methodology used. For initiatives, describes the target population, program or curricular content, and evaluation method
- Results – summarizes findings in sufficient detail to support the conclusions
- Conclusions – states the conclusions drawn from results, including their applicability.
The Abstract Review Committee is made up of volunteer TVIW 2017 organization members and includes representation from diverse professional disciplines, such as: scientists, engineers, physicians, authors, administrators, and public servants. The Committee is blinded to authors and institutions. Each committee member will rank each abstract in the following four categories:
- Importance to fields of Interstellar propulsion, communications, and research
- Focus and clarity of presentation
- Quality of methods and
Acceptance for presentation will be determined based on Committee rankings and consideration of time and space for oral and poster presentation formats. Authors may indicate their own presentation format preference at the time of submission.
All applicants will be notified of review decisions by May 31st 2017. Please direct further questions to the Program Committee Chair Les Johnson at email@example.com.